I am looking forward to an exciting and productive year. I am ready to help each student reach his/her potential, but this can only be achieved by a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Therefore, it is important to understand what is expected of each student in this class.
- Homework: Homework is an essential ingredient in all math classes. You will generally be assigned homework every night. Assignments will vary in length from 30 minutes to an hour. You are expected to complete all work assigned. Each homework assignment must be written on a separate sheet of paper. Leave adequate space for making corrections between problems.We will have homework quizzes periodically. They will not be announced in advance. They will occur only after we have discussed the previous night’s assignment. The problems on the quizzes will be similar to the ones from your homework.
- Absences: If you miss a day of class, you are responsible for checking with the teacher to find out if that day’s assignment was checked or if you missed a homework quiz. Check in the Absence Box for missed worksheets. You should also get the notes from a classmate and arrange for makeup quizzes or tests. Lunch/Activity or after school are your options for make-up work.
- Grades: Your grade will be based on a variety of activities including homework (5%) , tests, quizzes, and projects (95%). A midterm and final exam will be given and each will count 10% of the final grade.
- Calculators: Students need to bring their own graphing calculators to class daily. We recommend the TI-84, TI-84+ Silver or Color Edition, or Nspire CX. If you have trouble making this purchase, the math department has a limited number of calculators that we can assign like textbooks. Please speak with your guidance counselor or me.
- Extra Help: Extra Help is available to any student during lunch/activity period except when I have lunch duty (Tuesday or Friday), or after school. Arrangements should be made ahead of time and you must come prepared with questions or specific topics that you would like to review. Please understand that the lunch/activity period is often used for meetings and is also a very popular time for extra help sessions. Don’t wait until the last minute to get help! As soon as you find you are having trouble with homework, class work and quizzes, please come and see me.